Can't change kernel

I wanted to install the linux-tkg-bmq-zen2 kernel through the Garuda settings manager but it says that the files are already owned by linux-tkg-bmq, the kernel which is running at the moment. linux-tkg-bmq-zen2 is the only kernel that the settings manager won't let me install.
So i figured out that maybe i needed to first start the machine with another kernel and then install linux-tkg-bmq-zen2, but if i do the system won't boot.
When the machine starts, grub starts and i can select which kernel i want to use, but if i select anything other than the standard linux-tkg-bmq the system won't boot up.
I get the ususal "common interrupt: no irq handler for vector" error that i usually get with custom kernels but it stops there and doesn't boot up, while with linux-tkg-bmq the error occurs but the system works fine.
This phenomenon also happens with the "linux" kernel in the settings manager. Should i just stick with linux-tkg-bmq?

Well you should only install one varient

Either linux-tkg-bmq

or linux-tkg-bmq-*

As they are one and the same kernel

3 Likes

When I did the update for the kernels, at the very end, it locked up my computer. My normal kernel is still being run, how do i change from one kernel to the other. Sorry, but I have never switched kernels.
So just a newbie...
lol

gary

Use advanced in grub and choose your kernel.

3 Likes

Thank you for the tip.

How do you make the change of kernel persistent at the next reboot?

Please don't necrobump old posts.

That isn't currently possible using grub with btrfs as there is bug that prevents the setting from sticking. If you install with a separate ext2 or ext3 /boot partition then it should be possible. Otherwise it's not doable.

2 Likes

I see, sorry. Zen seems to be working nicely too, so it's all good.

Let's lock posts up after certain amount of inactivity

1 Like

But, you just made the post active by posting again. :rofl:

5 Likes