Cannot create Virtual Machines using Boxes and KVM Virt

I am using garuda gnome version.

I have tried installing iso on 2 different VM programs : Boxes and KVM and getting same error when creating a new VM:

network "default" is not active,

Have restarted laptop but has no success? any help greatly appreciated.

VM are not supported, sorry.

Tell me if I failed by translation.

1 Like

The reason i am using VM is to try other versions of garuda (KDE and Mate)

Can i install these alongside gnome through the Terminal?

I don't want to burn iso to USB as there is a bug on your LIVE version where WIFI does not work as it does not install the macbook pro broadcom drivers?

Did you use last versions?
Post full ISO name, please.

But again, you must know, no support on vm or macs/win/dual boot :slight_smile:

I downloaded and installed latest gnome version this morning. The garuda gnome is not running in a VM but physically installed on hard drive alongside Mac OS Catalina.

The error i am getting:

virsh net-start default

error: Failed to start network default
error: internal error: Failed to initialize a valid firewall backend

I have googled and I am following the instructions below, will let you know if it works:

Installing ebtables and dnsmasq seems to fix the problem. Don't forget to restart the libvirtd service.

The commands:

sudo pacman -Syu ebtables dnsmasq
sudo systemctl restart libvirtd

NOTE: do not forget to close and re-open your virt-manager GUI (if you're using one).

1 Like

Previous instructions have not worked, getting the following error:

ould not start virtual network 'default': internal error: Failed to apply firewall rules /usr/bin/iptables -w --table filter --list-rules: iptables v1.8.7 (legacy): can't initialize iptables table `filter': Table does not exist (do you need to insmod?)
Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/device/netlist.py", line 203, in _check_network_is_running
netobj.start()
File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/object/libvirtobject.py", line 57, in newfn
ret = fn(self, *args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/object/network.py", line 69, in start
self._backend.create()
File "/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 3174, in create
if ret == -1: raise libvirtError ('virNetworkCreate() failed', net=self)
libvirt.libvirtError: internal error: Failed to apply firewall rules /usr/bin/iptables -w --table filter --list-rules: iptables v1.8.7 (legacy): can't initialize iptables table `filter': Table does not exist (do you need to insmod?)
Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.

Do you read?

This is first time, I am using Arch Linux.

Yes i missed iptables, have run the 3 command again and it has worked :slight_smile: !

Again, can i install MATE version alongside Gnome using Terminal? Then I wont need to use VM!

sudo pacman -S ebtables iptables dnsmasq

sudo pacman -Qi ebtables iptables dnsmasq

sudo sudo systemctl restart libvirtd

Before I forget, KVM libvrt is a lot faster and stable than Gnome Boxes :slight_smile:
1 Like

Of course you can, but not with Calamares, or other GUI.
Only the Arch Way.
Since you are asking, it means it is possible, but you won't make it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
We can't help/support you on this.

1 Like

I like what garuda have done, its impressive and we all owe you thanks.

But honestly, I don't think this is a forum for noobie like me.

I wont be asking any further questions.

That bug would likely be that Broadcom uses restricted proprietary drivers. Apple and Broadcom are both highly unfriendly towards Linux. If you want good compatability with Linux you need to be more selective with your hardware purchases. If you want to run Linux don't buy Apple, plain and simple.

It's looking like the direction Apple is heading now that Linux will not likely be able to be installed at all on their hardware in the future.

2 Likes

Thanks tbg.

The good news is that once installed, the wifi driver work. It's only while its running from Live USB that it does not recognise the wifi and this unfortunately will put off people from actually installing the distro.

This is the BEST linux distro overall i have used! it's just slightly better than Manjaro which I am also playing with.

But the good thing about Minjaro and MX Linux is that it is actually quite straight forward to install multiple desktop environments! The community and desktop is very good.

I will use standard Arch