Broken links on desktop?

I’m sure you mean OpenSUSE Leap. TW is the rolling, so they will be on 17+ right now.

I think you can add Slackware and Solus to your list, plus any Arch-based can switch kernels pretty easily. I’m sure there are many more, but you might not be pinned down by this kernel for long because a lot of hardware enablement has been added to the kernel lately.

I don’t know the answer to this, but before starting over why don’t you try switching from Thunar to Nautilus and see what happens?

Fully update with garuda-update, then:

sudo pacman -S nautilus
1 Like

I'll chime with that - 5.17.1 on one machine over here! Artix, fundamentally Arch without sysd.

Again - this is nothing to do with GNOME.

Noone running GNOME is running the Xfce desktop environment, they are mutually exclusive. These things are not related to your issue - unless the inxi you provided in the first post is wrong and you are running Thunar under GNOME?

You could try thunar-devel or, given the issue appears to be with this one theme, perhaps the issue is with that one theme?

1 Like

I have no doubt that Leap does work but Tumbleweed apparently does work with some chipsets and 6000 series Radeon cards.

These distros I’m not sure about. I read online Arch distributions do indeed work with the new Radeon 6000 series cards. The latest Manjaro does sort of work with my new machine, I installed it on a old SanDisk 120 GB SSD but it only with a very low screen resolution. I found the same problem with Debian Sid before installing Manjaro 21.2.5. First thought was the SSD was to blame but I think this maybe down to chipset combination your using. Further reading online I found no end of users having issues with the new Radeon hardware. Looking at linux-hardware.org, they list Manjaro with a Ryzen CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 motherboard and a 6000 series card but only with the status of detected. They do also list Ubuntu, POP, Clear Linux, KDE Neon and OpenMandriva as working with ASUS B550 / X570 boards but not with my MSI X570 chipset. This is why I think the hardware setup is part of the problem.

If you read online, some Linux users say they have had no issues with new hardware where other users complain that the 6000 series Radeon cards simply just don’t work with Linux Arch or Deb systems with many chipsets regardless of drivers or kernel.

The distros from my previous post above are the only one’s I found online listed that apparently are known to work out of the box without any graphical issues regardless of hardware setup. This was how I come to start using Garuda from being a long term Debian user. I purchased a new Samsung SSD, then tried Garuda Linux which worked with my Radeon RX6700XT graphics card and MSI chipset straight out the box.

I hindsight, had of known the issues I was going to run into, I wouldn’t of upgraded my old PC till next year.

Unfortunately XFCE has Gnome packages to run it.

See xfce.org website.

Xfce might need GTK packages, but it doesn't need GNOME packages.

I'm not sure how else I can explain that you're looking for a solution in the wrong place; GNOME is not related at all to missing shortcut icons in a Thunar right-click menu.

Something that I don't think has been mentioned is whether the menu items work despite having an incorrect icon? I suspect they do, and so this is simply a cosmetic issue.

1 Like

But it may be the kernel’s fault… :upside_down_face: :rofl:
I think OP is trolling intentionally or … :thinking: he knows better, which makes me wonder why he asks for assistance…:grey_question:

1 Like

Xfce is based on GTK and uses the same toolkit as does Gnome. Xfce relies on some same packages as Gnome so that various applications can run in all desktop flavours. In this case because I installed the ‘Obsidian-2’ theme from AUR (which by the way is based on Adwaita) which just happens to come with some Gnome packages when it is installed.

Normally with Debian this doesn’t cause any issues but with this Arch based system it seems it has caused some conflicts relating to the desktop.

As I said nothing to really get into a sweat over, being a newbie to Arch based distros I just wanted to find out why there was an issue between an Arch system running this icon theme and not the Debian system. I never suggest it was a Gnome issue…

I have three computers here one of which still runs Debian 11 Xfce with Obsidian 2 theme and although only running kernel 5.10 has never had any faults or failures along with an old Dell laptop running Debian 9 Xfce also with no issues running the same themes.

The new system upstairs is now running Garuda Xfce at stock settings, with no added flavours or themes and doesn’t seem for the moment to have any issues.

Icons are determined by the icon theme, not the GTK theme.

1 Like