Black screen after loading grub

Hello all,
Sorry if I am doing something dumb. I am new to Garuda. I installed the Gnome version this morning. After booting up after installing I gave it an update using pamac and after doing so I rebooted. Now after I select garuda from Grub, I get a black screen. I have tried ctrl+alt+F1/F2 to try to get into to tty but I cannot seem to do that either. I reinstalled garuda again to see if it was something with the installation but after updating and rebooting again, it still seems to not work.

What have I done wrong?

Thank you in advance for your help

1 Like

Which packages did you update? What hardware do you have?

Old Garuda GNOME ISO?
Changing display manager help, IIRC.

and
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh! That restoring feature is super helpful.

I have restored the session back to working and as for the question of which packages I updated. There were around 161 packages I upgraded . This time I am trying to update and leaving out gdm and seeing if that is what may be causing the problem.

As for hardware, I am running this on an HP Pavillion Laptop 15 with an AMD A12-9720P cpu with Radeon R7 graphics

I tried checking to see if I had an outdated ISO and it seems like I have the latest (from sourceforge).

How would I go about changing my display manager?

You should still be able to see journal logs from your failed boot.
The auto-snapshots does not lose previous journal logs AFAIK.
Check

journalctl -p3

and check the timestamps.

2 Likes

Before you do that, include some information about your system and the packages you updated which caused the issue.

Try to do this systematically rather than jumping ahead.

2 Likes

Sorry about that. I do tend to jump ahead...

My system is an HP Pavilion Laptop 15-cd0xx
It has an AMD A12-9720P with Radeon R7 (embedded in the processor).

I have a list of the packages I updated in the following pastebin: https://bin.garudalinux.org/?96b34f685b4263cd#6v2LyGhEcz8pqn91KNot3qCUxQ378Eoy9GSNz6WK53Fj
(I hope a pastebin is alright. I didn't think pasting a wall of text into the forum would be appropriate)

I also made another pastebin with the output that pamac gave me while installing the updates: https://bin.garudalinux.org/?2f70e25e5ff2348b#6iFgwPbwd1BrJCKweqFTF1bWEvQnHhwT8T7HZTzRthGu

Thank you so much for your help.

Is there any other information I should provide?

2 Likes

A number of people are hitting an issue with 5.10 and AMD GPUs:

There are patches coming which will fix this, but until then you might want to exclude the kernel from updates.

If you want to check whether you're affected by this I have a 5.10.1 linux-zen built with the patches included (which works for me).

3 Likes

Thank you so much! I didn't install those two packages and now my laptop boots!

2 Likes