Awesome experience

Hey! I'm a long time dual booter (windows/debian) that after buying myself some new gear decided to go all in Linux, and switch distro while I was at it. I read about Garuda on reddit and liked what I saw. Not gonna lie, I was rather nervous switching to the arch-branch, but I couldn't have felt more welcome.

Installation process was smooth. Drivers and firmware got installed much easier than expected (especially after all the mess with getting my 3070 to work properly on debian). The i3-config is great! Instead of just pasting in my own config I ended up keeping a lot of the default stuff and I've learned tons of things just going through the default configurations. (rofi drun blew my mind.. I've only used run before)

The welcome setup was really nice. App suggestions were very relevant, saved me time reinstalling things and found me some new things as well.

Only thing that didn't work out of the box is suspend (display doesn't start up) but I haven't gotten around to that quite yet.

Anyway I just wanted to bow and say thanks for your awesome work, I'm thoroughly impressed and couldn't have been happier with my new system.

10 Likes

Welcome to Garuda! Enjoy your time here!

4 Likes

:slight_smile:

4 Likes

Welcome to Garuda;

Hopefully you will find the solution to your one remaining issue.

5 Likes

I'm a new user as well. I'm beyond impressed, I LOVE this thing. It's among the most feature-rich distros I've used, most of the others look "bubbly" or "goofy" by default. Everything worked out the box for me. I expected such a beautiful looking desktop to hinder performance or have a slow boot time or RAM issues, but I've had nothing but an astonishing experience so far. It's snappy, somehow boots in half the time of other distros, and I didn't even need to go out of my way to configure anything (besides moving the dock to the left and turning off mouse acceleration and the usual issue of having to installing gnome disks to get my second HDD to mount on boot so steam could find my library)

My only hope is that this is where my distrohopping ends. I'm tired of staying up all night setting up my desktop feeling fully confident that it will be my endgame main driver, only for the DE to break a few days into a clean installation. I pray Garuda stays as solid as it feels right now. I'll give it two weeks before I let go of this fearing of booting into a broken DE, then I'll be a Garuda fanboy for life.

One thing with Linux gaming in general though, I feel like the second HDD should be mounted by default, many gaming PCs have a smaller SSD for the OS and applications and a second larger HDD for game files. By default, I need to either fstab my second HDD or use gnome disks to get it to mount on boot, then I need to go digging for it wherever it's mounted in Steam. Also, mouse acceleration should be disabled (flat) by default, gaming and acceleration messes with muscle memory, and I guarantee 99% of PC/FPS gamers prefer it off. Mint is the only distro that has it off by default. At least it is able to be disabled from the default DE, unlike xfce or mate where disabling it prevents your mouse cursor from moving at all.
Anyway I'm just rambling now. Thanks team for making the Linux distribution I see in my dreams.

6 Likes

If, use the last working snapshot in "Advanced" in grub boot menu. Then wait with updates until the problem is fixed.

:slight_smile:

4 Likes

Welcome @midlane_jake and @against-all-logicNJ!

6 Likes