Authentication failure in Garuda Welcome - Settings in Wayfire

When I open Garuda Welcome, Settings tab and tick the box Enable AdGuard DNS, in another window a prompt appears:

==== AUTHENTICATING FOR org.freedesktop.policykit.exec ====
Authentication is needed to run `/bin/sh' as the super user
Multiple identities can be used for authentication:

1. eljejer
  2. odroid
    Choose identity to authenticate as (1-2): 1
    Password:
    ==== AUTHENTICATION FAILED ===

User eljejer is sudoer.
What can be the problem here?

Enter correct password

1 Like

of course I did! Are you kidding :smile:

You have that /usr/bin in super user that is as adminitrator.. use sudo chmod 777 /usr/bin...

Or open it via sudo by giving correct password.. this one is most recommended...!

@shrivassp I'm not sure what you mean "You have that /usr/bin in super user that is as adminitrator".
Do you suggest to open up /usr/bin directory giving access to "other"?

What do you suggest to open via sudo? sudo garuda-welcome, maybe?
This gives error:

❯ sudo garuda-welcome
[sudo] password for eljejer:
No protocol specified
qt.qpa.xcb: could not connect to display :1
qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even though it was found.
This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, vnc, wayland-egl, wayland, wayland-xcomposite-egl, wayland-xcomposite-glx, xcb.

[1] 42187 abort sudo garuda-welcome

How to overcome all this and be able to use the Garuda Welcome app functionality?

@librewish, apart from this password suggestion :smile:, do you have further suggestions maybe? I really don't understand why I am not able to change some settings in the Garuda Welcome App. Any help is appreciated.

Check if polkit is working

pkexec /usr/share/garuda-welcome/scripts/adguard-on.sh

❯ pkexec /usr/share/garuda-welcome/adguard-on.sh
Error accessing /usr/share/garuda-welcome/adguard-on.sh: No such file or directory

Turns out, the Garuda Welcome scripts are in

/usr/share/garudawelcome/scripts/

not in

/usr/share/garuda-welcome/

I was able to activate AdGuard using:

sudo /usr/share/garudawelcome/scripts/adguard-on.sh

Also, when testing pkexec, I get the following (after altering the path in the command to reflect the settings i\on my system);

❯ pkexec /usr/share/garudawelcome/scripts/adguard-on.sh
==== AUTHENTICATING FOR org.freedesktop.policykit.exec ====
Authentication is needed to run `/usr/share/garudawelcome/scripts/adguard-on.sh’ as the super user
Multiple identities can be used for authentication:

1. eljejer
  2. odroid
    Choose identity to authenticate as (1-2): 1
    Password:
    polkit-agent-helper-1: error response to PolicyKit daemon: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.Failed: No session for cookie
    ==== AUTHENTICATION FAILED ====
    Error executing command as another user: Not authorized

This incident has been reported.

Hello again. Trouble shooting this further, I noticed the following:

❯ sudo systemctl status greetd
â—Ź greetd.service - Greeter daemon
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/greetd.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
     Active: active (running) since Tue 2020-10-13 11:55:03 CEST; 4min 48s ago
   Main PID: 888 (greetd)
      Tasks: 1 (limit: 19033)
     Memory: 3.3M
     CGroup: /system.slice/greetd.service
             └─888 /usr/bin/greetd

Oct 13 11:55:03 spectre systemd[1]: Started Greeter daemon.
Oct 13 11:55:03 spectre greetd[889]: pam_systemd_home(greetd:account): systemd-homed is not available: Unit dbus-org.freedesktop.home1.service not found.
Oct 13 11:55:03 spectre greetd[889]: pam_unix(greetd:session): session opened for user greeter(uid=968) by (uid=0)
Oct 13 11:55:07 spectre greetd[993]: pam_securetty(greetd:auth): cannot determine user's tty
Oct 13 11:55:08 spectre greetd[993]: pam_unix(greetd:auth): check pass; user unknown
Oct 13 11:55:08 spectre greetd[993]: pam_unix(greetd:auth): authentication failure; logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty= ruser= rhost=
Oct 13 11:55:08 spectre greetd[993]: pam_systemd_home(greetd:auth): User name not set.
Oct 13 11:55:10 spectre greetd[993]: error: authentication error: pam_authenticate: SERVICE_ERR
Oct 13 11:55:18 spectre greetd[1009]: pam_systemd_home(greetd:account): systemd-homed is not available: Unit dbus-org.freedesktop.home1.service not found.
Oct 13 11:55:23 spectre greetd[1009]: pam_unix(greetd:session): session opened for user eljejer(uid=1000) by (uid=0)

Might the error reported by systemctl on the greetd service be related to the authentication error in the Garuda Welcome App maybe?

So, according to the output of the command you suggested, is polkit working now, or not?
Can you interpret this output for me; "No session for cookie"? See here.
I really want to be able to use the settings tab in Garuda Welcome App...

Maybe the problem is in ~/.config/wayfire.ini

[autostart]
…
polkit-gnome = /usr/lib/polkit-gnome/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent
…

When I change this into

polkit-gnome = /usr/lib/polkit-gnome/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1

pkexec does not report error anymore

❯ pkexec /usr/share/garudawelcome/scripts/adguard-on.sh
“Applying Adguard DNS servers…”
“Prevent resolv.conf from being overwritten”
“Adblocking enabled!”

Shit! Must have been a bad edit of wayfire.ini on my part.
Sorry to have troubled you with this developers!

2 Likes