Authentication failed

Agree it may be something our systems have in common I don't believe it's drive related. This issue started for the OP, and myself wit trying to do updates, not after trying to use Disk or preform other disk operations. In my case right after landing on the desktop for the first time. From what I see in my last post it's a temporary permissions problem that goes away with a logoff logon. Another reason I'm sure it's something with the OS is that this problem has never cropped up under Manjaro for Gary on the same hardware.

@tbg now that said can you please explain why you believe a kernel change may fix the issue? Thanks

If you'd done as much troubleshooting as myself, I don't think you'd be asking that question. Most any issue that you'd never suspect as a kernel issue in many cases is. It's basically troubleshooting 101, always test an alternate kernel before you rip your computer apart or your hair out from frustration.

It's one of the easiest troubleshooting steps to perform, and it resolves far more issues than you'd ever expect.

Regardless of if it resolves your issue, it's not wasted effort, because you should always have a backup kernel installed in case a major cluster bomb drops on your current kernel with an update. Always start with the LTS kernel first, and I usually test three alternate kernels just to be sure.

2 Likes

OK all I really wanted to know.

Speaking of backup kernels I could not find the Garuda Kernel Settings. Was that removed, and if so can I add it back? I like in Both Garuda and Manjaro having the latest kernel, the previous kernel, and LTS just in case. It was actually either @librewish or @SGS that made it pretty clear why it’s good to have the backup kernels. I know from recent experience with the arch1 kernel we had to wait for the nVidia headers, couldn’t use any video transcoding software till they dropped.

Once I can go in and change the kernel I’ll let you know what I got either way. Thanks for the feed back.

Use Garuda-Settings / Kernel

2 Likes

Ok not sure if the issue is fixed or not, but with everyting else looking and working good if it is still there we can live with it. If it does crop up it's just a logoff to fix it. Thanks for the help guys.

Thanks, he has 5.8 and LTS as well as 5.9 now.