Age - Honestly

I am 16. I started programming when I was 9 yo. I don't know why Linux. I was programming on/for Windows forever basically.

23 or maybe 24 ish:smiley:

1 Like

I don't count something as arbitrary as how many times I've orbited the sun.

I'm old enough to consume alcohol. And young enough it hasn't consumed me.

5 Likes

Started using computers: 1987
Started using Linux: Kernel 1.0 (stable)

Days Tobacco-Free: 10, mutherforkers--10!

20 Likes

Best number posted so far. Congrats my man!!

5 Likes

Oh and I started using Linux approximately 10 orbits ago.

OT

Me 3704 days ~ 30 000 € saved :smiley:

11 Likes

Physically - I'm 48 years old. And I started using Linux in August 2009 (former Windows 7 Beta tester). That beta testing made me the biggest supporter of Linux. Haven't looked back since; best move I ever made!

8 Likes

How things have changed :smiley:
I would never have asked how old someone was ? When i was only 13.5 years old :rofl:

7 Likes

What can I say, librewish and I had actually opened an adult forum here.
Then came "me too" and now we have people here from 9 to 99 years. :smiley:
:wink:

9 Likes

All i can say is to that is?
I'm glad we are a all inclusive FORUM :face_with_hand_over_mouth: :grinning:

7 Likes

O/S 2 1.1(?) Presentation Manager: 100 Installation 3-1/2" Floppies (diskettes)

Bill Gates said (tongue in cheek) users should buy it, format the disks and save a bundle on floppies. 3-1/2 Diskettes were newish and pretty expensive.

4 Likes

Old enough to remember floppies, young enough to have never used them

5 Likes

I thought linux hasn’t reached stable yet

My first computer loaded the OS by tape cassette, floppies were like going from walking to driving.

8 Likes

Old enough to have used 8" floppies at work just before the 5.25" floppies took over.

4 Likes

Same. I bought the Sinclair ZX81, did basic programming and backed it up to cassette tapes. I remember my mom bringing home punch cards when I was really young.

6 Likes

When I was about 8, my family got a computer...A Texas Instruments TI-99/4A and a couple of books on it's programming language, TI Basic.

I practically learned to read on those books. I remember making a Choose Your Own Adventure program that I never finished when I was about 9. It broke and I never had a computer again until 7 years ago when someone from an Android Root Forum gifted me his old laptop as a thank you for all the help he saw me giving people. He had seen in my profile that I wanted a computer to further increase my Android Knowledge. Within a month of getting the laptop I had a goal to compile custom Android OSes. Within 2 months of getting it, I installed my 1st linux in dual boot, and 6 months later I ditched Windows for good after the Windows 10 Anniversary Update screwed up my ext4 partitions and set back my learning by months. I built my 1st custom ROM from source within a year of that. That was about 6 years ago and my focus has slowly changed from Android to Linux. Though I've tried many distros in VMs, Garuda Dragonized is only the 2nd distro I've ever installed to my hard drive. I ran Manjaro Xfce until about 3 months ago. I'm 46 now.

10 Likes

My first intro into computing devices was the data collector I used for work land surveying in my teens. A Scion data collector running C&G surveying software, which ran on UNIX. That led me to Linux in 2003, to Mandrake 8.1 with the graphical DrakX installer, bought at a CompUSA store. I'm 45 now.
mandrake81

11 Likes

Good guess, I'm 25 years old, using Linux since 2019 :grin:

5 Likes