Access to partitions without a user password

I would like to have permanent access to other partitions without requiring a user password.

It would be interesting if the Garuda system did not require a user password to access other partitions. It is very annoying every time you enter the system and ask for a password to access a text file, for example, which is on another partition.

I have not found any simple and safe solution to this.

Thanks.

Add the other partitions to your /etc/fstab.
Use gnome-disks or text editor.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fstab

1 Like

This does not help me. It is a risky operation for a basic or intermediate user, and anything I do in this direction will be a risk test. Other Gnome linux distributions have this resolved by default.

I decided that Garuda's original position remains, and I see how far I can take this bother of password request.

I know I can authorize the editing of the / etc / fstab file using opening Terminal in / etc as the root user.

chmod ugoa+-=rwx fstab

And using Disk to get the partition information. But I don't see any 'nopasswd' information. I just want to directly enter the desired partition. Only that.

Thank you for your attention.

That is quite a statement lol. Its not risky if you had an actual look at the page @SGS linked earlier.

File system labels
Run lsblk -f to list the partitions, and prefix the values in the LABEL column with LABEL= or alternatively run blkid and use the LABEL values without the quotes:

/etc/fstab
# <device>        <dir>        <type>        <options>        <dump> <fsck>
LABEL=EFI         /boot        vfat          defaults         0      2
LABEL=SYSTEM      /            ext4          defaults         0      1
LABEL=DATA        /home        ext4          defaults         0      2
LABEL=SWAP        none         swap          defaults         0      0

Now tell me where the part is that is “too risky” for an intermediate user please.

Name one and give an example how its done :thinking:

1 Like

I didn't want to mention names from other distributions, but Manjaro and Pop! _OS has this by default. How do they do it? The Linux world is free, and their code must be, too, and I'm not a programming expert either.

I'm just the Manjaro user who fell in love with Garuda, and I use the system for work ... production, and the less barriers, the better. I want agility, objectivity.

The Gnome disks program as already mentioned can do this automatically. With your attitude I think using an Arch based distro is not for you.

The Arch implementation is that the user is in control and is responsible for administering their system. If that's not in line with your philosophy then you probably shouldn't use an Arch based distro.

5 Likes

Manjaro uses a polkit rule so that users in wheel group do not need password to mount disks

Do we do this also?

1 Like

Yes, Manjaro and Pop! _OS doesn't ask for password to access partitions ... you have the free way. ArcoLinux and Garuda adopt the password.

That's horse hooey. I've used Manjaro for years, and I always had to mount some drives via fstab to avoid password entry for some. It often depends on if it's internal/external or whether it's a lousey Windows file system used on the drive.

Learn to use fstab or systemd to mount your drives properly, (or don't), that's your issue, (not the distro's). I've noticed a certain dev with Manjaro sure has written a lot of tutorials about mounting drives on their forum. Why bother if the drives are all mounted automatically.

I answered tens of thousands of posts on the old Manjaro forum, and believe you me, plenty of the questions were regarding mounting drives via fstab (or systemd).

You know not of what you speak, my good man.

I think you've gotten the answers you need. If you don't want to listen there's no further point in having this turn into a troll feeding ground.

man fstab

5 Likes