A funny smell

Not this magnificent OS, rather the odour in here now that I have returned! Guys your OS is simply amazingly amazing. I've been gone for a couple years - using Pop so my brain has turned to mush but, this distro still feels right to me. I should be able to get straight back into destroying things in fairly short order.

Seriously peeps... nice work.

My most solemn thanks.

10 Likes

I can’t remember why I made this avatar the way it is?
Maybe my translation program at the time misunderstood your nickname or my current one. :confused:
Ahh, the internet never forget :smiley:

Anyway, welcome back :slight_smile:

4 Likes

“A Funny smell”

Have fun and don’t forget to report back! :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Thank you sirs. The nickname is correct, just as it is written. I've always felt I didn't deserve such an avatar but it's sure nice to see it again. Speaking of green, round these parts we are very much looking forward to the great thaw and trees etc flushing out. We are always the last for the snow and ice to vanish in this area, due to the altitude and late, very heavy snowfall.

Excelsior!

8 Likes

I didn't mean the spelling, sorry my English is 90% based on translation aids, but on the fact that wrecked translates to "Wrack", which in turn can mean more than one thing in German. A sunken ship, a destroyed human body, as a result of destruction, heavy damage no longer usable vehicle (car).

So I let your nickname sink in the water, :wink: washed by waves of hope, saved by your efforts as a fisherman. Somehow the Garuda logo had to be included, sorry :wink:

6 Likes

Love where your from in BC, but we've only seen snow for several relatively brief periods this winter in southern BC. The flowers are up, and my cherry trees are in bloom already down here in Canada's banana belt.

Nice to see you back.

7 Likes

Again SGS, your "translation" of my nickname is apt and very well suited. And tbg, it was a mild winter here as well but we had a lot of snow just a few weeks back. We almost escaped much of a winter really, only to get buried at the last minute. There are billions of birds already here and they aren't much happier at the short term prospects. Our feeders are jammed dawn to dark and the surrounding trees emit a steady roar of complaints. No bears yet but they a comin. About the only plus to all this late snow is that the critters don't much like walking in it!

4 Likes

You two make me miss SE Alaska fiercely. Even though they got dumped on, also. And I miss wrastlin' the black bears (when not chasing them out of my house). :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Best username ever! Going forward, I need something similar, A-mess? rattled? discombobulated? disgruntled? I will have to think-tank it. :+1:

2 Likes

c00ter last summer we had the biggest black bear sow I ever done seen traipse onto the property with two cubs in tow. I noticed her out front in the driveway and leaned out the second floor living-room window and barked at her but she just glanced up calmly at me then carried on inspecting the recycling bins. Absolutely massive and likely working on more cubs. Finding nothing of interest she went out back and tore the door to the outhouse off the hinges, but could not fit through the door! That ticked her off something fierce!

After they had left, whilst the wife and former sweetheart was surveying the damage I muttered: Whelp... I guess they no longer shit in the woods, and she smiled quietly to herself.

3 Likes

Yeah, I dig. @tbg may remember hearing this...

I had a mama and 2 of her 3 cubs inside my penthouse apartment, between me and the only means of egress (including windows). I had a S&W 500 Mag at hand but didn't want to use it. It was my fault. I was hot & tired and I'd left the door open a little bit after carrying groceries up the hill, all 105 steps. But the door was still partially and if one of her cubs accidently closed it there could be no good outcome.

So I crossed my non-gun hand fingers and said the usual "shoo bear" and they calmly left. (They were "garbage" bears.) I closed the door and changed my underwear.

5 Likes

My funniest bear story was less dramatic, but served to educate my kids. They were used to seeing small black bears when we went camping on Vancouver Island and they never thought of bears as a big risk at that time, (10 & 12 years old).

Then I took them on a backwoods trip up to the Cariboo into Grizzly territory. I made sure to tie my garbage up a tree at night so as not to attract bears. My kids kind of laughed, and made light of the precautions. That is until they went down the bank to the lake one morning. A few minutes later they came running up the bank. When I asked them why they were back so soon, they said they'd seen a huge grizzly with her cub down at the lakeshore. Funny how fast their attitude changed after they got one look at the size of a real bear. I never had to remind them to be bear safe again after that.

5 Likes

Huge danger!

I’d bet!

3 Likes

The hope is that those with less experience will escape with just a warning, such as them kiddies. The odds are really starting to stack up against it though, with so many selling their parent's legacy/future and moving into the wilderness interfaces with all their credit cards and artificial incompetence.

I often wonder why the critters so often choose to spare the ignorant, the drunk and the plain old, garden-variety foolhardy. It ain't like they couldn't use the extra protein. We are indeed very fortunate that them beasties do behave so benevolently toward us. Imagine if they held a grudge! I shudder to think, especially having eaten so many of them...

2 Likes

I must admit I never had much fear of the scrawny black bears on Vancouver Island as I'm as large or larger than most of them. That was until I saw a group these small black bears foraging on the beach from my boat one day. These bears seemed puny, and I was stunned to see the ease that they flipped large boulders over to eat the crustaceans underneath these huge rocks. That one sight of them feeding along the seashore gave me a whole new respect for those emaciated looking scrawny black bears.

Fortunately most of the time they simply ignore us humans. I must admit in my younger braver days I would travel many miles into the back bush to fish unfrequented rivers for salmon. I fished more than one time on the river with sometimes up to 8 black bear feeding on salmon not more that 50 feet upstream from me. I made sure to be fishing on the opposite bank from them, but I was definitely danger close as they could easily wade accross to the other side if they chose to. Luckily the bears had plenty of Salmon to keep their attention and they paid no mind to me poaching on their dinner. I've done a lot of dumb things in my day to catch Salmon, and I'm sure I could have been killed many times over by the sea Gods or beastly creatures back in my younger much more foolish days.

That's why youth is wasted on the young. If I only had it all to do over again. :thinking:

2 Likes

I made it a habit to float my catch downstream to the bay, to avoid hiking back while smelling like dinner. That was on Admiralty Island, also known as ‘Kootznoowoo–Fortress of the Bear’ for its large brown bear population.

You were smarter than me. I'd hike back to my vehicle with them like a dummy. Until I realized I was tempting fate a little too much as it was getting dark and I forgot to bring a flashlight. Young and dumb, but I surprisingly managed to last to a ripe old age. How I'll never know, I never really expected to see the new millennium.

1 Like

Maybe they KNEW you were nuts, and were avoiding any chance of contracting the bear equivalent of mad cow disease!

Although - walking around smelling of salmon might have pushed THAT assumption a bit far!

5 Likes